Event Planner/Volunteer Coordinator
Kansas City PBS is seeking an Event Planner/Volunteer Coordinator. Reporting to the Manager, Marketing, Communications & Engagement, the Event Planner/Volunteer Coordinator will plan and oversee engagement events for all three Kansas City PBS brands (Kansas City PBS, Flatland and 90.9 The Bridge). Coordinating events on and off-site, the ideal candidate will have a proven track record of envisioning and executing creative experiences for event attendees.
This role will build and maintain a strategy for station events that activates public spaces within station headquarters and supports the newly adopted strategic plan, alongside the Manager, Marketing, Communications & Engagement. This person will also serve as an advisor and work cross-departmentally in providing event support for development/membership opportunities and board of directors engagement. This position will also manage the Kansas City PBS volunteer program and support the development of new opportunities under the supervision and direction of the Manager, Marketing, Communications and Engagement and the Senior Director of Marketing, Communications and Engagement.
SALARY RANGE: Non-exempt (Hourly) $45,000-$50,000 Annually
Event Planning and Coordination
- Lead planning, organization, and execution of engagement events for the three Kansas City PBS brands, working cross-departmentally.
- Assist with the development of new ideas for future events, including the creation of attendance and revenue generating events.
- Build and maintain an events strategy that supports Kansas City PBS and its engagement mission, including identifying new events, processes and software for data tracking.
- Work with other departments to assist with food, setup, tear-down and procuring volunteers for internal and external events.
- Project management and completion of self-assigned and delegated assignments.
- Work with external vendors, venues and contractors, as needed, to procure event items and services that cannot be managed in-house.
- Serve as point of contact for vendors, volunteers and staff at off-site and station events.
- Maintain inventory of event supplies.
- Ensure that expenses for all initiatives fall within the allotted budget.
- Build and maintain the Kansas City PBS volunteer program, establishing processes for recruitment and training
- Maintain Kansas City PBS’ volunteer program and current list of volunteers while ensuring adherence to station policies.
- Maintain records for hours worked by volunteers for annual audit and reporting purposes.
- Coordinate volunteers for character appearances and secure character costumes.
- Work with Manager, Marketing, Communications & Engagement and Volunteer Advisory Committee (VAC) to formulate and execute strategies for recruitment and retention.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative and adaptable with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multi-task and seek solutions to problems, identifying the best outcomes from a variety of options.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends for events.
- Must have valid driver's license.
- Must have the physical capability to lift up to 50 pounds.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered).
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent.
- At least two years of professional event planning experience.
- First-hand experience in creating and tailoring creative events to different audiences, with a focus on the attendee experience.
- Experience with tracking event analytics is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and electronic communications.
- Working knowledge of project management software such as Trello.
- Volunteer recruiting and training experience a plus.
If interested in this exciting opportunity, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your cover letter how you learned about this position.
KCPBS is an E-Verify, Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.