Communications & Engagement Manager
Kansas City PBS is seeking a Communications & Engagement Manager. This position creates and manages a comprehensive strategy for print and digital content as well as community engagement opportunities, for Kansas City PBS and the digital journalism platform, Flatland. This role works to strengthen institutional brand identity, and plans and oversees the execution of strategies to establish greater visibility for organizational efforts locally, regionally, and nationally. This role works cross-departmentally to determine goals for organizational outreach and engagement and manages community engagement services, experiences, and initiatives around local and national broadcast programming, digital news content, digital storytelling, social media, and partnerships with other community organizations.
SALARY RANGE: $65,000-$70,000
- Manage publication of the monthly Kansas City PBS Member Guide by notifying stakeholders of deadlines, compiling content, working with the graphic designer and copy editor on layout, photo editing, and proofing content.
- Assist in all aspects of strategy, best practices and delivery of email distribution and newsletters from content creation to list management to formatting and publishing using email marketing platform.
- Manage creation of annual Community Impact Report for print and digital distribution to key partners and stakeholders.
- Create communication plans and promotional copy for various platforms and distribution methods related to station projects and initiatives.
- Collaborate with producers to write program descriptions for television and digital series’ and documentaries for use in marketing messaging, web copy and other digital placements.
- Create and distribute press releases and external communications as needed including customer service responses and crisis communications.
- Manage media outreach, lists and requests. Coordinate media appearances and interviews for staff when appropriate.
- Identify opportunities for engagement events centered on programming and station initiatives and work with the event planner to ensure smooth execution and successful outcomes.
- Prepare talking points for staff at public events as needed.
- Build and maintain relationships with community partners and constituents that align with Kansas City PBS’ mission and strategic goals identified by department leads.
- Represent Kansas City PBS in community initiatives and events that support our mission and goals and bring public feedback to editorial staff.
- Support Digital, Editorial and Social Media teams to provide coordinated promotion of community engagement efforts across platforms.
- Liaise with the event coordinator on scheduling of volunteers and hospitality for community events.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Director, Marketing, Communications & Engagement.
- Ability to effectively communicate in challenging situations.
- Ability to manage time, deliverables and meet deadlines.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Occasional work outside regular business hours.
- Ability to plan, develop budgets and implement projects across broadcast, digital, and in-person events.
- Strong interpersonal skills interacting with both internal and external audiences.
- Public speaking skills, and the ability to represent Kansas City PBS as a responsible, informed ambassador preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to take direction and work collaboratively with various personalities.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in English, marketing & communications, or a related field. Equivalent professional experience will be considered.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office.
- Experience with publication layout and design.
- Work experience in community engagement and outreach with proven ability to build and maintain a wide range of partnerships.
- Working knowledge of Trello or other project management tools required.
- Working knowledge of email marketing tools (MailChimp, Constant Contact, Iterable, etc.) required.
If interested in this exciting opportunity, send cover letter, resume and an example of your writing skills to email@example.com. Please include in your cover letter how you found out about this position.
Kansas City PBS is an E-Verify, Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
If your organization would like to be notified of future job vacancies at Kansas City PBS, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.